Watch Your Kids Grow This Summer
Sheriff BJ Barnes welcomes Corporal Bryan Herndon of the Sheriff’s Office Community Resource unit. Each summer the Sheriff’s Office puts together two great programs to grow, strengthen, and educate young people in staying safe. They are Safe County and Sheriff’s Youth Academy.
- Kindergarten through fifth grade
- Held at three locations around Guilford County
- Child identification, health, nutrition, exercise are taught.
- One day spent in fire dept. smokehouse, law enforcement vehicles.
- Experience builds positive impression, confidence in first responders.
- Animal Control teaches how to stay safe with many situations.
- Guilford Metro 911 teaches importance of calling 911 and when.
- Alcohol & Drug Services teaches about drugs.
- Pilot Club teaches importance of covering head, preventing brain injury.
- Sheriff’s Office teaches internet safety.
Sheriff’s Youth Academy, ages 11 to 20.
- A very structured, militaristic program that lasts one week.
- Appeals to those interested in a career in law enforcement
- Marching drill and physical exercise build discipline.
Next on this episode, we feature coverage of the recent motorcycle officer training session, produced by Guilford County Sheriff’s Office. Qualifying officers must learn extremely difficult maneuvers on their bikes, and be ready at any time to hang a sharp u-turn on narrow roads. The road to learning these skills always includes a few spills. Agencies participating include Winston-Salem PD, Greensboro PD, Randolph County Sheriff, Yadkinville PD.VIDEO COMING SOON - Watch Your Kids Grow This Summer